Search This Blog

Monday, April 23, 2012

Ubuntu Vs. Linux Mint

Many of my friends and colleagues have asked me the question: If Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, wouldn't it be better to use Ubuntu instead of Mint? Well, everyone is entitled to have their own personal favourite distro and mine happens to be Linux Mint.



Here are a few reasons why I think Linux Mint is better than Ubuntu.

First of all Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu and being a community driven project, it has fixes of all the bugs that appear on Ubuntu. For example, my machine's integrated bluetooth did not work right out of the box when I tried out Ubuntu on a virtual machine designed for testing new releases. However, Linux Mint did. That just shows if there are any reported bugs in Ubuntu, its more than likely that they have been removed in Linux Mint.

Why choose Ubuntu when you can download all of the Ubuntu applications and run them on Linux Mint without a glitch. Both support the .deb extension. You can also install the Ubuntu Software Centre in Linux Mint and that will give you two software managers on your system.

Play media out of the box in Mint. When you install Ubuntu, you have to download all the codecs before you can start playing multimedia. Not in Mint though, it comes equipped with everything you can think of and more.

All these reasons and more mak it clear that the winner is Mint. However that's my opinion. What's yours?

And just in case you decide to try out Linux Mint 12, Lisa read my post on how to install Linux Mint 12 on your system.

2 comments:

  1. Plus Unity is too big a departure from what I'm accustom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unity is a pain you know where. I don't understand why Ubuntu is still sticking with the Unity.. Its slow n heavy on resources. I like the Gnome shell much more..

      Delete